Subject: Telnet & ifconfig
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Albers-Mead <jam@matchlogic.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/29/1997 08:02:42
I just got networking up and running (I think) but I get a weird message
when I try to telnet in from a Mac connected to my NetBSD machine over a
local network.  On my telnet window, I get the standard login screen that I
would expect when I connect via telnet but when I try to log in, I get a
message "jam login refused from this terminal" but if I enter a bad login
name, I get the standard "Bad login" message.

On the NetBSD machine, when I attempt a connection from the Mac, messages
appear on its screen like:

       Aug 28, 1997 00:23:45 toad jam LOGIN REFUSED FROM hobbes ON TTY tty0

NetBSD machine = toad
PowerMac 7100  = hobbes
Me             = jam

I believe this is what the messages were saying (I wrote them down and then
left them at home this morning).  Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Also, if I use the following (with different IPs):

ifconfig ae0 111.111.111.111 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 111.111.111.255

and it seems to configure my ethernet connection correctly, should these
values set the network connection permanently or just until I restart or
shutdown?  Currently, if I shut down or restart, I lose this info and have
to do ifconfig again.

- jam

   			                    John Albers-Mead
			                     MatchLogic, Inc