Subject: Re: qpopper: Do I own temp file?
To: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/29/1997 16:51:20
Hi,

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Nico van Eikema Hommes wrote:

> Under which UID does qpopper run? If it runs as root, then it should be
> able to write in /var/mail when it has 0755 permissions. If it runs as
> "daemon" or something similar, it might work if you
>
> 1. chgrp the binary to group "mail" (create it if not present);
> 2. chgrp /var/mail and it's contents to group "mail" as well;
> 3. change the permissions of /var/mail to 0775;
> 4. change the permissions of the mailboxes to 0660.

This is exactly how it is setup under BSDI.  This is exactly how I set it
up under NetBSD.  It works fine under BSDI but does NOT work under NetBSD.
You still get the same error message.

> Note: I'm not sure if this works under NetBSD, but it is worth trying (I've
> seen this kind of setup under several other OSes). Also, some tips may be
> carefully hidden in the qpopper documentation :-)

That is exactly my point in earlier mail and today. This setup works in
other OSes including a close cousin (BSDI).  The fact that it doesn't work
the way it "should" leads me to think that it is a problem with NetBSD.  I
have been up and down the Qpopper documentation and even sent to Qualcomm
support.  Their answer, not surprisingly, was that they had not heard of
this problem and that it works in other OSes.

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/