Subject: Re: qpopper: Do I own temp file?
To: Josh Hope <otaku@redneck.hick.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/29/1997 09:10:51
Hi,

The only way I was able to get it to work was to

  chmod 1777 /var/mail

Note: You will have to be root to do this. For those of you who use
letters for permissions, /var/mail should be  'drwxrwxrwt'

This makes /var/mail world appendable.

A long time ago, I posed the question of why we have to make /var/mail
world writeable when you do not have to on BSDI.  No one ever answered.

Mark

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Josh Hope wrote:

> I've seen this error, a long time ago. I just forgot how to fix it...
>
> When telnetting into localhost on the pop port (with the precompiled
> binary of qpopper found at macbsd.co in contrib/unix installed), I get the
> following error:
>
> [otaku@otaku.users.netset.com]% telnet localhost pop
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> +OK QPOP (version 2.2) at otaku.users.netset.com starting.
> user otaku
> +OK Password required for otaku.
> pass mypass
> -ERR System error, can't open temporary file, do you own it?
> +OK Pop server at otaku.users.netset.com signing off.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> Anyone know the answer?
>
> Thanks a lot for any help,

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/