Subject: Re: bad system call revisited
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/27/1997 12:37:33

> >Did you update /etc? Also, did you include a swap partition definition in
> >/etc/fstab? I think the installer did by default, but that bad sys call
> >sounds like a swap setup problem (swap setup cahnged a few months ago, and
> >the utilities might not have caught up).
>
> OK, as you noticed, I did update /etc (as well as keeping the old /etc).
> disklabel sd0 yields:
>
> =========
> # /dev/rsd0c:
> type: SCSI
> disk: SCSI disk
> label: fictitious
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 96
> tracks/cylinder: 2
> sectors/cylinder: 192
> cylinders: 2740
> total sectors: 528808
> rpm: 3600
> interleave: 1
> trackskew: 0
> cylinderskew: 0
> headswitch: 0		# milliseconds
> track-to-track seek: 0	# milliseconds
> drivedata: 0
>
> 4 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
>   a:   390924      256    4.2BSD        0     0     0 	# (Cyl.    1*- 2037*)
>   b:   137628   391180      swap                    	# (Cyl. 2037*- 2754*)
>   c:   528808        0    unused        0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 - 2754*)
>   d:      192       64   unknown                    	# (Cyl.    0*- 1)
> =========
>
> My fstab was:
>
> /dev/sd0a	/	ufs	rw 1 1
> /dev/sd0b	none	swap	sw 0 0
> kern		/kern	kernfs	rw 0 0
> proc		/proc	procfs	rw 0 0
>
> I changed that to:
>
> /dev/sd0a	/	ffs	rw 1 1
> /dev/sd0b	none	swap	sw 0 0
> kern		/kern	kernfs	rw 0 0
> proc		/proc	procfs	rw 0 0
>

> Unfortunately, it still kicked out with the same error at the same place.
> It IS 1 line after it tries to do the swap thing though, so you may be
> close to the problem.

Looks fine. Is the error in or after the swapctl command? The next
line's umount -a >/dev/null 2>&1 on my i386 (which is a little old, but
with swapctl support).

You might try re-installing just swapctl & friends. You can do it by booting
single user, mounting read-write, and doing a partial tar extraction.

> >               On the next line was the fsck syntax line. After that was a
> >> request for a shell (or return for sh). I ran "fsck -f /" because "fsck /"
> >> said that the filesystem was still marked clean.
> >
> >It really wants "fsck -p /". Your /etc script has fsck -p, which used to
> >work. I'm not sure what the problem is, except possably that your
> >/etc/fstab has "ufs" instead of "ffs" for fs type. Just a guess. I had to
> >make the same change too.
>
> I did "fsck -p /"... that just told me that the file system was marked
> clean. I then tried "fsck -fp"....that waited about 30 secs & gave me 1
> line of the stats (blocks, frags, etc).
>
> If you have any other suggestions, I'd be really glad to hear them.

fsck -p is just supposed to quickly look at the file system, and squeal
if there are problems. Well, it'll fix a few problems & let you boot.

To do a real check, just try fsck -f. But you don't need to do that
each boot. fsck -p does a quick check, and boots if all is well, If there
are problems, it calls in the big guns (you & fsck -f).

Take care,

Bill