Subject: Re: bad system call revisited
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/26/1997 19:37:11
>Did you update /etc? Also, did you include a swap partition definition in
>/etc/fstab? I think the installer did by default, but that bad sys call
>sounds like a swap setup problem (swap setup cahnged a few months ago, and
>the utilities might not have caught up).

OK, as you noticed, I did update /etc (as well as keeping the old /etc).
disklabel sd0 yields:

=========
# /dev/rsd0c:
type: SCSI
disk: SCSI disk
label: fictitious
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 96
tracks/cylinder: 2
sectors/cylinder: 192
cylinders: 2740
total sectors: 528808
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0		# milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0	# milliseconds
drivedata: 0

4 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  a:   390924      256    4.2BSD        0     0     0 	# (Cyl.    1*- 2037*)
  b:   137628   391180      swap                    	# (Cyl. 2037*- 2754*)
  c:   528808        0    unused        0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 - 2754*)
  d:      192       64   unknown                    	# (Cyl.    0*- 1)
=========

My fstab was:

/dev/sd0a	/	ufs	rw 1 1
/dev/sd0b	none	swap	sw 0 0
kern		/kern	kernfs	rw 0 0
proc		/proc	procfs	rw 0 0

I changed that to:

/dev/sd0a	/	ffs	rw 1 1
/dev/sd0b	none	swap	sw 0 0
kern		/kern	kernfs	rw 0 0
proc		/proc	procfs	rw 0 0

Unfortunately, it still kicked out with the same error at the same place.
It IS 1 line after it tries to do the swap thing though, so you may be
close to the problem.

>               On the next line was the fsck syntax line. After that was a
>> request for a shell (or return for sh). I ran "fsck -f /" because "fsck /"
>> said that the filesystem was still marked clean.
>
>It really wants "fsck -p /". Your /etc script has fsck -p, which used to
>work. I'm not sure what the problem is, except possably that your
>/etc/fstab has "ufs" instead of "ffs" for fs type. Just a guess. I had to
>make the same change too.

I did "fsck -p /"... that just told me that the file system was marked
clean. I then tried "fsck -fp"....that waited about 30 secs & gave me 1
line of the stats (blocks, frags, etc).

If you have any other suggestions, I'd be really glad to hear them.

Thank you for your help, both past and future :)
Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.