Subject: Re: shutdown -r
To: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/25/1997 23:41:35

And nigel@ins.tansu.com.au replied:
> 	I imagine that the main difference is a RAM test. Warm start
> would be shorter because it may not need to test every byte in your
> (up to) 128MB system RAM, and (up to) 2MB graphics RAM.

Well, from my personal experience, it seems to do the RAM test on every
single startup.  I just recently upgraded from 32 to 64MB on my IIci, and
it now takes nearly a full minute before my startup gets around to
resetting the SCSI bus;  this is 15-20 seconds longer than it used to be.
The new, longer, startup time occurs in all cases - cold power on, reboot
from MacOS to MacOS, reboot from NetBSD to MacOS, or running the NetBSD
booter.

So, I'm still wondering what ever sets that WarmStart variable, and/or
what actually looks at it...

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |