Subject: Re: Networking...
To: Scott Smith <smelly@spy.net>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/25/1997 09:46:34
> > When I boot up, and it starts networking, it will freeze shortly
> > afterwards.  I removed the hostname.ae0 file and tried to enable ae0
> > manually using ifconfig.  This seemed to work, until I tired to ping my
> > 6100.  It immediately froze.  It seems that whenever I try to send anything
> > over the network, the system freezes.

This sounds like a problem with having a video card where we don't know
how to disable or clear the video blank interrupt (or some other nubus
card that is generating interrupts that we can't clear).

> My video card is a RasterOps ClearVue/GS, according to dmesg.

This, for example, is one that we don't know anything about...  ;-)

If you take a look at http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/video.html,
you will see how to gather the information that we need to properly
clear your video interrupts (depending on the card, it might be
relatively easy).

> I config'ed ae0, and *bam*, it locked up when I tried to ping another host.
> IP: 10.1.1.5, netmask: 255.0.0.0, broadcast: 10.1.1.255.

Umm...  I've never used addresses in that range, but it looks to me like
the broadcast and netmask parameters don't match.  I'd expect

	IP: 10.1.1.5, netmask: 255.0.0.0, broadcast: 10.255.255.255

for a class A network or

	IP: 10.1.1.5, netmask: 255.255.255.0, broadcast: 10.1.1.255

for a network with the broadcast address you specified.  If I understand
the syntax right (probably not ;-), those two networks would be described
as 10/8 or 10.1.1/24, respectively.

Pax,
-allen

--