Subject: Re: Networking...
To: Christian Taylor <ctaylor@fox.nstn.ca>
From: Scott Smith <smelly@spy.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/25/1997 01:40:39
On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Christian Taylor wrote:

> When I boot up, and it starts networking, it will freeze shortly
> afterwards.  I removed the hostname.ae0 file and tried to enable ae0
> manually using ifconfig.  This seemed to work, until I tired to ping my
> 6100.  It immediately froze.  It seems that whenever I try to send anything
> over the network, the system freezes.  It won't respond to the keyboard at
> all, and I have to hit the reset switch.  If I hit the interrupt button, it
> will drop into the debugger, but I don't know what I can do there that will
> help (any ideas?).
>

> The machine itself is a IIcx, 8 MB ram, 100 MB hard drive (16 MB swap, 80
> root/usr and whatever's left for MacOS).  I'm using a completely standard
> install of NetBSD 1.2.1.

This is a bit old, but I just got my IIcx to completely boot using the Ethernet
card I put in it, and I've got the exact problem.
the card is an Asante MacCon, with (I think) the DP83902 chip.
My video card is a RasterOps ClearVue/GS, according to dmesg.

It's quite interesting, because I had the video card in the left-most slot,
and the machine wouldn't boot when I put the Ethernet card in.  Just today
I decided to give switching slots a shot, and it worked.  So, I went out to
Fry's, grabbed a transceiver, and stuck it onto my network.  I config'ed
ae0, and *bam*, it locked up when I tried to ping another host.
IP: 10.1.1.5, netmask: 255.0.0.0, broadcast: 10.1.1.255.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Scott

--
Scott Smith -                           |
Taos Mountain TS, all around UNIX geek  | Windows NT(tm) -- The real

M-@ !V-- PS()@? !PE !Y+ PGP+@ !t- !5 X@ !R- tv-@ b@> DI+>+$ !D--- G>$ !e