Subject: Re: Mac IIci troubles.
To: David H. Webster <webster@cygnus.com>
From: Edward Seth Miller <esmiller@engin.umich.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/24/1997 23:35:20
On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, David H. Webster wrote:

> Greetings,
>    I have finally gotten around to loading up NetBSD (1.2.1) on my MacIIci.
> Everything was done by the book, and everything seems to have worked
> properly.  However, when I got to the step of running the booter, it
> started going and then came up with the following error:
>
>     ae0 at nubus0: address 00:00:00:00:00:00; type Ethernet A-Series, lbk mem.
>     Changing root device sd0a.
>     sd0: mode sense (4) returned nonsense; using fictitious geometry
>     sd0: mode sense (4) returned nonsense; using fictitious geometry
>     PRAM: 0x33e20c87, macos_boottime: 0x33e20c7a.
>     Panic: kernel jump to zero
>     Stopped at       _Debugger+0x6: unlk a6
>
> I have reloaded everything (including reformatting and re-newfs'ing the
> drive.)  The booter appears to have all the correct settings to load from
> sd0a, but seems to always come up with this error.  The disk is a standard
> Apple 80sc, which I imagine shouldn't give any problems.
>
> Where to go next?

Well, as a proud owner of what sounds like a similar system, I can tell
you what both problems are:
The "fictitious geometry" is because the standard Apple 80Meg drive is
made by Quantum, and works MUCH better with the SBC driver.  I recommend
pulling down a "GENERICSBC" kernel and the other binaries to go with it.
Run them through the installer, and then BUILD DEVICES (which is probably
the source of your other error).
	I just went through the same problem about 2 weeks ago.  Try
those steps, and then let us know how it works...  Good luck!

	-Seth Miller