Subject: Re: 7.6.1
To: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/24/1997 01:36:47
Adrian Rollett wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Aug 1997, Space Case wrote:
>
> > On Aug 23,  1:33am, Adrian Rollett wrote:
> > >Has anyone had experience bootstrapping from 7.6.1? WIll it work?
> >
> > I don't see why not -- I boot from Mac OS 8...
> >
> > ~Steve
> >

> Cool - From what I had gathered on the FAQs, people sez it is best to do
> it from 7.1 or something. ..

Of course.  Could you imagine how long it would take to boot System 7.6.1
on a IIsi?  Even with an accelerator on my IIci, it takes at least 5
minutes to boot 7.5.5.  Yuck!  If I'm going to be running NetBSD, I use
7.1.  It boots in 30 seconds to a minute, depending on whether or not I
last booted from the MacOS (rebooting or booting after running NetBSD
seems to mangle a few things just enough to noticeably slow the boot
process).

Later.