Subject: Device problems... and Ipfilter
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Quint <Squint@flash.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/24/1997 01:39:37
I have come up against a brick wall with this problem, I hope someone can
help...

I have been running the July binaries on a IIci without any problems, dt
worked as expected.

Last week, I swapped the hard drive out and put it into a Quadra 700 ( much
faster BTW ), and every thing seems to be OK until I tried to get IPFILTER
working...

`dt` now returns the error:
	"error opening grf0 (primary screen): Device not configured
	 no usable grf-devices found "

`ipf` returns the error:
	"open device: Device not configured
	 ioctl:(SIOCADDFR): Bad file desciptor "

(Note that I have not had ipf working before, but dt was just fine)

I'm using... Quadra 700, 20MB RAM, Quantum Pro Drive 270, July snapshots

I've tried...
	custom NCR kernel,  (yes, I've added OPTION IPFILTER )
	custom SBC kernel,
	GENERIC-SBC-36  (Not with Ipfilter of course),
	GENERIC-35  (Ditto),

	rebuilt grf0 and grf1 (Side note: for some reason MAKEDEV did not
			work for grf, I had to use `makenod` )
	built ipf using MAKEDEV
	built ipf using `makenod` with the value 59, and 49 ( per dist docs )

	ranting and raving,
	threatening to throw the machine out the window,
	hitting the machine,
	promising never to buy a Microsoft product to appease the computer
demons,
	promising to buy every Microsoft product to appease the computer
demons.

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Steve