Subject: bad system call revisited
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/22/1997 20:58:38
Hi NetBSDers,
I have a Quadra 840 AV which had been happily running GENERIC-17 with
NetBSD 1.2 binaries since December or so. I decided to be brave & try
Allen's new kernel, which worked fine for me. Of course, because of the
kernel/binary synch, I couldn't use PS, which I find quite useful. So, I
downloaded -current binaries (and GENERIC-35 just for the heck of it), &
proceded to install them (selected them all in booter 1.1c, hit done, &
wait awhile). I then downloaded installer 1.1e because I read that it gives
more pty/tty's by default. I used this to build devices. I then tried
booting using booter 1.9.4. Just after the pramtime read, I got a bad
system call. On the next line was the fsck syntax line. After that was a
request for a shell (or return for sh). I ran "fsck -f /" because "fsck /"
said that the filesystem was still marked clean. This gave only 2 errors,
one asked rejoin, & I forget the other offhand, something like recover
damaged something which was incorrect in superblock I think. This was my
first time ever needing to run fsck in my 6 mo experience with NetBSD. I
then tried to start from scratch by doing a shutdown -r now & going back
into the booter. I got the same error. I thought it may have had something
to do with Allen's kernel, even though I'd had no trouble with it the past
couple days, so I unpacked GEN-35 (I get a big D'oh! for untarring it over
GEN-17) & tried booting into that. I got the same error. I then renamed the
GEN-35 kernel & reinstalled GEN-17 (luckily I don't like trashing stuff)
but that too spit out the bad system call. Essentially, I had reinstalled
GEN-35 as well as all 7 tarballs (renaming /etc, of course), which should
have given me a pristine new system. This should rule out that you were
telling Josh that it is usually a kernel/binaries sync problem.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas before I go wiping everything &
reinstalling GEN-17 with the 1.2 binaries & all my added binaries (dt, X,
pine, lynx, qpopper, etc).

Thank you for your help in advance,
Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.