Subject: Re: Old mail (but relevent to SCSI drivers/Jaz/Zip disks?)
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/22/1997 09:47:23
Armen Babikyan wrote:

> >Well, somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Quantum
> >hasn't really changed their drive hardware all that much with time, and I
> >KNOW that smaller Quantum drives GREATLY prefer the SBC kernel.

The above statement is not quite an absolute truth.....

> can i assume that NetBSD 1.2 GENERIC#1 has sbc code in it? for some reason,
> i thought it had ncrscsi :\

It does have ncrscsi, actually.

> i have 2 quantum prodrives (270MB each) attached to it, and have no
> problems (other than the regular
> you-don't-sync-your-disks-you-get-fs-problems stuff :-)
> i'm willing to try out anything that will make my machine run faster,
> better, etc.
> you can even use me as a guinea pig :-)

As I said in my previous posting (which I seem to remember reaching the
list), the sbc driver _usually_ seems to perform better on _many_ Quantum
drives.  Note how vague this statement really is.  The fact of the matter
is, there are quite a few Quantum drives which the ncrscsi driver is quite
stable on.  Likewise, there are probably several Quantum drives that the
sbc driver doesn't handle very well (mine seems to be a problem either way
:-( sigh).

BTW, the ncrscsi driver is generally deemed to be the faster of the two,
although I'm not too sure about it at the moment, given that the sbc
driver now does pdma.

A final piece of advice: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!  So, if whatever
driver you have works just fine for you, stick with it.

Later.