Subject: Re: ethernet problems
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/21/1997 21:14:52
> well, i finally got an ethernet card for my powermac!
> but unfortunately, i can't get my powermac and IIvx to talk to each other,
> so i'm going to try setting it up in NetBSD at least, on the IIvx.
> when i installed nubus ethernet extensions, they must have done something
> to my card, because i'm seeing wierd stuff now:

[please insert some blank lines!]

> ae0 at nubus0: address 00:00:94:60:7b:a2, type MacCon NuBus-A , 32k mem.
> ae0: length does not match next packet pointer
> ae0: len 0000 nlen ff00 start 0c first 00 curr 06 next 00 stop 80
> ae0: NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 65280

> i don't quite understand why it says that...(could this be a good sign that
> the mac software did install properly? :-)

Your UNIX instincts grow. This error, if it ONLY happens at boot, is
actually a GOOD sign. It means that an Ethernet packet was lingering in the
card during NetBSD's boot (or that the card was receiving something when
we interrupted it to check it out).

If it only happens at boot, then it's harmless.

Take care,

Bill