Subject: Re: Crash on reboot, -current kernel.
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/21/1997 10:54:24
Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

> Hi again. I just noticed something odd... When I reboot, my system freezes.
> This happens *just* as it's about to reboot... For instance, I 'shotdown
> -now' and get to single-user mode. Then I type 'halt'. Then, when I get the
> line that tells me to power down or hit a key, if I hit a key the machine
> makes a healthy "I'm going to reboot now" clicking noise, but then sits
> quietly doing nothing until I power down.
>
> I'm using a freshly-built (id est, today) -current kernel on an SE/30, if
> that helps.
>
> If someone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Given instructions, I'll
> be happy to get whatever information will help.

Hmmm...this is the same problem reported like 2 weeks ago by several IIcx
users.  So, it appears that it affects more than just IIcx's.  This
problem does seem to recur in cycles, tho.  Scott has suggested that
something about the size of the kernel might be tickling some variable
somewhere, and that if you cut out all the unnecessary devices in your
kernel config file, you just might change the kernel size enough to
alleviate the difficulties.  I assume that the -current GENERIC kernels do
not exhibit the same behavior?

Later.