Subject: Re: Old mail (but relevent to SCSI drivers/Jaz/Zip disks?)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/21/1997 10:42:57
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > > Quick question - Is it better to use the SBC or non-SBC kernel for a large
> > > quantum drive? (large >= 1 gig)
> >
> > Well, somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Quantum
> > hasn't really changed their drive hardware all that much with time, and I
> > KNOW that smaller Quantum drives GREATLY prefer the SBC kernel.
>
> There's got to be something else we're missing in all of this. I have
> a Quantum Lightning 730, and have always used the ncr driver. As of
> today, I've had no problems (we'll see what happens once the drive realizes
> I'm sending EMail about it :-)

I've got a Quantum Lightning 730 (well, it formatted out to 700 )-: and it
has had some real problems with the ncrscsi driver.  Likewise, similar
problems started again once the sbc driver started supporting flags 5
(PDMA?).  I'll have to compile with flags 1 sometime and see if the
problems go away I guess.   On the other hand, I haven't tried the ncrscsi
driver since Allen made some changes which apparently stablized it quite a
bit.

Later.