Subject: Re: Old mail (but relevent to SCSI drivers/Jaz/Zip disks?)
To: Edward Seth Miller <esmiller@engin.umich.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/21/1997 09:58:08

> > > Well, somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Quantum
> > > hasn't really changed their drive hardware all that much with time, and I
> > > KNOW that smaller Quantum drives GREATLY prefer the SBC kernel.
> >
> > There's got to be something else we're missing in all of this. I have
> > a Quantum Lightning 730, and have always used the ncr driver. As of
> > today, I've had no problems (we'll see what happens once the drive realizes
> > I'm sending EMail about it :-)
> >
> > I'm not sure what the other variables might be, though.
>
> It may be important which model of Quantum is in question.  I'm referring
> to ProDrives of various types.  I don't know what the difference is
> between a ProDrive and a Lightning.  Has anybody asked Quantum if they
> could shed some light on this?  I can't imagine that they would dare
> ignore the large and powerful NetBSD/mac68k users!  :)

That's what I'd think. Except when these postings (of problems w/ Quantum
drives) came out, the Lightning 730 (the one I have) was at the top of all
of the complaint lists.

So it's most, but not all, Quantums need the sbc kernel. Weird.

For the record, I have a IIsi w/ 3 hard disks, a zip, and a Sony 2x
CD-ROM. An internal 40 MB Apple (a Conner, I think), a zip, and then
the two externals (the 730 and then a 270), the CD ROM, and a terminator
all live in a converted mini-tower.

Take care,

Bill