Subject: Re: Driver error help needed! (esp0:4:0)
To: tcjam <tcjam@voicenet.com>
From: Paul Ripke <weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/21/1997 15:27:42
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > I'd have to agree with this, about a month ago I was getting these types
> > of errors quite frequently so I did a shutdown -h now and ejected the
> > removable ( a SyQuest EZ 135 ) cartridge only to find that the normally
> > bronze (maybe a shade of gold) was blemished by a rather large black
> > streak. After replacing the cartridge I no longer had these media errors.
> >
> > I hope there is nothing wrong with your media but it's the first thing I'd
> > check after seeing such errors.
>
> I'd like to repeat something I heard on the mkLinux lists. Basically,
> Jaz drives can have probelms if they are left on all the time. I think
> it's that the platter or drive mechanism heats up, and things drift.
> It's probably not the problem here, but I think the idea was the Jaz
> (and Zip) wouldn't be run 24x7, and so things might get flakey if you
> leave it on all the time.
>
> The mkLinux problem was that you eject a disk and then put it in, and
> it doesn't work. The solution was to let everything sit for a while
> (cool off), and it worked.

I can confirm that problem - my SyQuest 200 will report head alignment
errors, motor speed errors, and media failures whenever I turn it on
during the cold (15-20 C - not THAT cold) winter months. I've used a
hair
drier on the cartridges before, to warm them up. I'd hate to think what
I've blown into them! But they work fine when warm.
The errors stop the drive from even finishing spinning up, BTW.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke
BHP Information Technology