Subject: Re: fsck problem
To: Edward Seth Miller <esmiller@engin.umich.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1997 12:48:16
> The problem is that it needs the dev that needs to be fsck-ed to be
> specified; it doesn't just assume one like it used to.  The fstab appears
> to be in good shape... it looks like:

[/etc/fstab]

> I'm assuming that the way it runs fsck at startup is essentially just
> invoking fsck -f.  At least, the way it fails is about the same...  (It
> says, "fsck [-dfnpy] [-b block] [-c level] [-m mode] filesystem ..."
> instead of running.)

Actually it's fsck -p, when it should be fsck -p /

> > Of course, this raises the question:  why in the world are you running
> > ypbind???  Do you have your own intranet?  If you have only one machine,
> > and it's not tied into a network that you can share passwd and mail alias
> > information with, there is no good reason to run ypbind.  You can turn it
> > off by changing the flags in /etc/rc.conf (assuming you upgraded your /etc
> > files to -current as well as everything else, otherwise I think you have
> > to edit either /etc/rc or /etc/netstart).
>
> Since I'm attached to the University of Michigan ethernet, it seems like
> I may need that stuff in the not too distant future...  That's why I'd
> rather it was working.

I doubt you really want to use ypbind (though I could be wrong),
assuming this is your machine. NIS (what yp got re-named to) is useful
for administering a number of machines. It's good for things like making
sure the password and user ID are the same on various machines.

If you use NIS, EVERYONE in your NIS domain can use your computer. That's
not something I'd like. :-)

Take care,

Bill