Subject: Re: Success!
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1997 09:29:34
Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

> I've finally managed to configure and compile a kernel successfully. As it
> turns out, part of the problem I was having involved an ill-considered move
> I made the other day. I was running a non-SBC kernel for a bit, to see if
> it would let me boot without seeing:
>
> probe(sbc0:0:1): command aborted, data = 00 00 00 00 25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>
> with the first digit in the line climbing from 1 to 7 slowly, along with
> (later):
>
> probe(sbc0:2:1): not ready, data = 02 67 00 00 04

Hmmmm...perhaps your drive is one of those that requires some kind of
quirk to tell the driver to wait a bit longer before sending commands?
(Keep in mind that SCSI is something I haven't really dug into yet, and
therefore it's quite possible I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking
about here ;-)

> in similar fashion. I in truth don't care about these errors, as they don't
> seem to impact me at all. My disks don't grow any corruption, so I'm happy.
> However, in running the non-SBC kernel, I generated lots of disk errors of
> various sorts, most of which I only saw later, upon fscking. I moved back
> to the GENERICSBC-36 kernel, and my kernel compile ran flawlessly. And NOW,
> I'm running a custom kernel, which makes me grin foolishly.

Congratulations!

> My next task: Figuring out how to make sendmail cooperate with Taylor UUCP
> 1.0.6.1. I'm going to start by reading the docs. (Well, okay, since my
> first attempt failed, I'm going to check out the docs *now*, as I ought to
> have done in the first place.)

Why in the world are you using UUCP????? Ick!

> Later...
>
> [Want list: 68LC040 support for my Q610, LocalTalk support, disklabel
> support, serial DMA somehow]

If you manage to pull of #1, many, many people will love you ;-)
LocalTalk support is in the works at the moment (Bill S. is working on
it).  Many people have considered native disklabel support, although many
people believe that it would be pretty cool ;-)  As for serial DMA, I'm
not too sure that DMA is possible on non-AV machines :-(

Good luck!

Later.