Subject: Re: Driver error help needed! (esp0:4:0)
From: tcjam <tcjam@voicenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1997 02:45:15
I'd have to agree with this, about a month ago I was getting these types
of errors quite frequently so I did a shutdown -h now and ejected the
removable ( a SyQuest EZ 135 ) cartridge only to find that the normally
bronze (maybe a shade of gold) was blemished by a rather large black
streak. After replacing the cartridge I no longer had these media errors.

I hope there is nothing wrong with your media but it's the first thing I'd
check after seeing such errors.

BTW, What type of mechanism/medium does a JAZ drive use I know a ZIP is
basically a *REALLY* dense floppy, and the EZ drives are actuall platters
but what does a JAZ have?

Bye.

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Allen Briggs wrote:

> > # mv file1  /zip/usr
> > sd2(esp0:4:0): soft error (corrected), info = 1791975 (decimal), data =
> > 00 00 00 00 17 01 00 00 00 00 3a 1e 01 39 79 01 00
>
> I assume that sd2 (SCSI ID 4) is your JAZ disk (my ZIP, at least, only
> works on IDs 5 and 6 (w/o tinkering, I haven't opened it yet) ;-).
>
> I think that these soft errors are valid sense keys from the disk,
> reporting soft, recovered errors.  The 1791975 and other "info = "
> numbers are the block numbers for the errors.  This one is 800-some
> MB into the JAZ.
>
> > sd2(esp0:4:0): medium error,           info = 1857631 (decimal), data =
> > 00 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 3b d5 01 31 7e 64 00
> > mv: xpaint/color.c: input/output error, info = 1857949 (decimal), data =
> > 00 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 3b d7 01 31 7e 64 00
>
> These looks like real bad blocks or hard errors--the disk drive tried
> several times to read the blocks, but was unable to recover the error.
> The extra data might be useful if you had a manual on the JAZ drive--I
> think it's all vendor-specific.
>
> It's possible that the SCSI driver could be screwing something up and
> confusing the drive, but these look like reasonable errors--especially
> for a removable disk (which in my experience are not nearly as reliable
> as fixed disks).
>
> -allen
>
> --
>               Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com

                                 \||||/
                                  o  o
|| "Please explain to me the scientific          |  tcjam@voicenet.com ||
||   nature of the whammy." -Scully              ______________________||
|| "Foolproof systems don't take into account,                         ||
||  the ingenuity of fools" -Unknown 			               ||
||   PGP key can be obtained from:                                     ||
||      http://www.voicenet.com/~tcjam/home/keys.html                  ||