Subject: IIfx question
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/19/1997 23:14:45
Well, thanks to a fine Irish gent, I have a IIfx board to play with.
When I try to put it in my II case and power it up, I get the three
chords of death before I get a picture on the screen.  Since I've never
used a IIfx before, I thought I'd ask for thoughts from you folks who
might have some idea.

Basically, what I have is the motherboard with RAM on it.  I dropped it
into the II's case and put my 80MB SCSI on the internal bus (I had to
snitch a power adapter cable from a spare quadra SCSI bracket kit to fit
the power on the motherboard).  I put a macintosh display card in it (not
a TFB, but something like it).

When I power it up, it seems to do something for a bit and then does the
three ascending chord thing, about when I'd expect to see the screen
clear.  I don't have a terminator on the external SCSI, but I also don't
have any devices on it--I know that the IIfx terminator needs are
special, but I don't remember the details...

Hmmm...  I'll try a different display card, too.

Is it possible that there's some difference because the mb is from
Europe?  I figured that the power supply would take care of the voltage/
frequency differences and that the motherboard would be the same on
both sides of the pond.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-allen

PS. The new quadra scsi driver seems to dig a ZIP drive, too.  I was
    able to newfs a 96MB filesystem on it.

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com