Subject: Re: new drive.
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/19/1997 19:05:00
Armen Babikyan wrote:

> >> i want to mount this drive as /users, since it's getting exceissively
> >> large. i realize that i may temporarily want to change /users to /users2 or
> >> soemthing then mv /users2/* /users/ .
> >
> >No prob.  Do this, replacing xx with the appropriate number and letter for
> >the device you're mounting:
> >
> >mv users users2            # rename /users to /users2
> >mkdir /users               # create mount point (directory) /users
> >mount /dev/sdxx /users     # mount /dev/sdxx on the mount point /users
> >mv /users2/* /users        # move the contents of /users2 to /users
> >rmdir users2               # remove the now-empty /users2 directory
> >

> okay, i mounted the drive /usr.
> the exact zip-drive directions made my kernel panic, but the above
> directions made my system work fine.  i think redundancy for some
> directions in the faq would be great for semi-newbies like me.
> the zip FAQ also mentions adding a line to /etc/disktab to mount the
> filesystem automatically (don't they mean /etc/fstab by the way?).

Which ZIP howto were you looking at?  There are two at the moment (both
fairly useful), but I haven't had time to integrate them yet.  Chances are
that it meant /etc/fstab, though.

> just a
> line at the end of the file with: "mount /dev/sdXa /whatever"?

Uh...no.  More like:

/dev/sdXa /users ffs rw 1 2

make sure that the /users directory exists as a mount point first, tho.  I
don't think that mount can mount on top of a non-existant directory ;-)

> (i just ran across this problem because i made my 2nd hard drive /usr, and
> the system won't boot up because it needs a lot of stuff found in /usr).
> thanks,

Doh!  You can just boot into single-user and modify /etc/fstab there.
Then it won't mount your zip drive over your /usr directory.

Hope this helps some.

Later.