Subject: Re: new drive.
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/19/1997 21:49:12
At 6:35 PM -0500 8/18/97, David A. Gatwood wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Armen Babikyan wrote:
>
>> anyway, i figured i'd initialize the drive and everything and ran across no
>> problems. i was told to partition after formatting. i had the options of
>> A/UX 2.0 root, user1, user2, and user3. i figured since this was not going
>> to be the root partition, and there were no other NetBSD mounted disks, i'd
>> partitions using user1.
>> I did that. and then anubis told me that i should use A/UX to format the
>> partition.
>> well, how exactly do i do that?
>
>mkfs on the MacOS side or newfs on the NetBSD side, AFAIK.  "Formatting"
>the partition is probably a bad choice of terminology.  It should be
>telling you to use A/UX to create a valid filesystem on the partition.
>
>> i want to mount this drive as /users, since it's getting exceissively
>> large. i realize that i may temporarily want to change /users to /users2 or
>> soemthing then mv /users2/* /users/ .
>
>No prob.  Do this, replacing xx with the appropriate number and letter for
>the device you're mounting:
>
>mv users users2            # rename /users to /users2
>mkdir /users               # create mount point (directory) /users
>mount /dev/sdxx /users     # mount /dev/sdxx on the mount point /users
>mv /users2/* /users        # move the contents of /users2 to /users
>rmdir users2               # remove the now-empty /users2 directory

okay, i mounted the drive /usr.
the exact zip-drive directions made my kernel panic, but the above
directions made my system work fine.  i think redundancy for some
directions in the faq would be great for semi-newbies like me.
the zip FAQ also mentions adding a line to /etc/disktab to mount the
filesystem automatically (don't they mean /etc/fstab by the way?). just a
line at the end of the file with: "mount /dev/sdXa /whatever"?
(i just ran across this problem because i made my 2nd hard drive /usr, and
the system won't boot up because it needs a lot of stuff found in /usr).
thanks,
  - a

 Armen Babikyan - armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu
    ----<insert lame quote here>----