Subject: RE: Ok, I give up...
To: (Henry B. Hotz) <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: None <wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/19/1997 19:15:37
On 17:18:32 hotz@jpl.nasa.gov wrote:
>>At 8:16 PM 8/18/97, wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net wrote:
>>re: bigtime trouble with the Zip disk.....
>>I forget what the magic was....its related to the fact that the mkfs
>>sees the device differently than the installed system does.  In other
>>words, mkfs sees a different disk organization (heads, sectors, etc)
>>than the kernel thinks it is when you finally get around to booting

>This rings a bell.  Is there a version of MacOS mkfs which does the "right
>thing"?

Henry & Jim,
   Ok, here's what I did.  I hooked up my Zip to the IIci, and here's what I
learned.  First, the Zip disk that I had originally created on the IIci no
longer works!  Haven't booted it for weeks.  Its just been in the plastic
case.  It boots up, but I get fsck failures, and an endless loop of login
prompts once I've gotten thru that!  Gonzo!  But, I also built a system on
a Zip from one of my IIx's.  This boots fine on the IIci!  Hooray!  The ncr
scsi driver sees it as 96 cyl, 64 heads, 32 sectors.  I can't tell you what
mkfs sees a Zip as (don't have anymore disks) but I'm using NetBSD 1.2
and the mkfs is 1.4.

Paul