Subject: Re: ncr5830 vs ncr53c96
To: Sean Sweda <sweda@us.itd.umich.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/19/1997 16:27:47
Sean Sweda wrote:

> FYI: my machine is a IIvx with a Daystar 040 accelerator
>
> I was under the assumption that only the Quadra/Centris machines had
> the 53c96, is this correct?  I ask because HDT Primer says that my
> IIvx has a 53c96.  I haven't looked at the code on any of the drivers
> yet, but how exactly is the mac probed in order to determine what
> SCSI chip is there?

HDT Primer is incorrect (I think/hope?).  It probably does something
rather silly like check the processor type to figure out what kind of
SCSI controller you have.  Either that or there is some kind of ROM on the
Daystar board which telling HDT that your machine is some kind of Quadra.
Does that accelerator work under NetBSD, btw??  If so, I can add it to my
accelerators list in the info sheet (and maybe I can snag one for
myself.... ;-)

> Some interesting things I found out:
>
> 1) my IIvx will boot using Allen's test kernel, but I have no idea
> if there is a speed difference yet

Allen's kernel is probably a GENERIC kernel.  These kernels include both
the ncrscsi and esp drivers.

> 2) a kernel compiled with sbc and ncrscsi commented out, but with
> esp uncommented will not boot the IIvx, it can't find the root
> device (didn't find a 53c96 to use the esp driver I guess)

Do you get any kind of line like "esp0 at ???" during boot?  If not, this
is because you have the ncr5380 and not the ncr53c96.

> 3) a kernel compiled using ncrscsi driver, but with esp commented out
> panics when attempting to mount the root fs

Now this is a bit weird.....have you tried using an SBC kernel?  (i.e. the
sbc driver for the ncr5380 controller)

> So, it appears as though I have a 53c96 and that some of the esp code
> is being used, although the driver that gets used is ncrscsi.  Can
> anyone explain to me what is going on (I've never booted a Quadra,
> does it say "esp0 at obio" when booting?).

Unless the Daystar board has an ncr53c96 chip on it (which I doubt, but I
guess it's possible), you still have an ncr5380.  I don't think that the
ncrscsi driver can attach to a 53c96 controller (although I haven't looked
at the match/attach code, so I don't know what it checks for).

Although I've never booted a Quadra either, all the boot messages posted
here do in fact have "esp0 at obio0" or something like that.

Later.