Subject: Re: The Outcome of My Last Few Posts
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/19/1997 16:12:16
On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> Josh Hope wrote:
> >
> > I then booted into single user, and ran fsck -p. It showed a few errors,
> > which I was expecting. It fixed them all up and marked the file systems
> > clean. I then attempted a reboot -n...result: Bad system call.
>
> Are you binaries and kernel in sync?  You shouldn't get this message if
> they are...

Probably related to trying to use OpenBSD binaries with a NetBSD kernel.
This can't be done.

> Here's your problem.  Mixing a NetBSD kernel with OpenBSD binaries that
> are not of the same vintage causes the above errors.

Mixing NetBSD kernels and OpenBSD binaries _at_all_ will be a problem,
regardless of whether they are `in sync' or not.

> > Now, earlier today, I did install the base.tar.gz package from Steve's
> > binaries. After installing this, I got the thing where telnetting into my
> > system caused the connection to be immediately closed...
>
> Hmmmm....did you install a new kernel as well?  It might be that this is
> caused by a similar problem...

This is almost always because there aren't enough pty's.  Go to /dev and
do a `sh MAKEDEV pty0' to create more.

--scott