Subject: Help
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Keith Parkins <kp004f@uhura.cc.rochester.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/18/1997 22:54:16
I recently tried installing Steve's (Aug. 8th I believe) binaries on
my LCII. I couldn't boot with the provided kernel so I ended up trying to
boot in single user mode with an old kernel. When I got into single user
mode, I tried to mount everything read/write but found that the system was
not clean. I ran fsck (FREE BLK COUNT WRONG IN SUPERBLOCK). Anyway, after
I salvaged the system and marked it clean, I rebooted into multi-user.
Everything looked OK until it changed kernel security from 1 to 0 then
spit out:

getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttye0, sleeping

I got freaked out and reinstalled 1.2.1. Now I can only boot as single
user. I am able to mount everything and would actually be kinda satisfied
with this for now since classes start up soon and I don't have much time
to fix this except for the fact that when I try to startx, I get an X and
xinit core dump with an output of bad system call (I actually need X right
now to preview LaTeX documents for a class).

Back to the main problem, when I try to boot as multi-user, the system
just hangs after the kernel security level drops. When I boot as root, I
see that there is a core dump , getty.core.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I am not very
experienced and realize that I should have left well enough alone.

groveling and whimpering,
Keith