Subject: Total tangent: origin of the word: hork
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@redneck.hick.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/18/1997 18:58:39
"hork" is from the old BBS days, when the Internet was too expensive, too
inaccessible, and we all ran around on BBS's...

You see, BBS's had a policy of download our stuff, only if you upload
stuff. That way, their software libraries would be more interesting, I
guess. I think this gets into software piracy BBS's, etc...

Anyways, if you went to a BBS and downloaded a bunch of stuff, but didn't
upload anything, that was referred to as "horking" off the system. It soon
came to mean just downloading anything.

For some reason, the word fell out of use...

Of course, this is how I understand the story of the origins of the word
"hork" :)

I'm pretty sure this won't help anyone. Heh. Sorry for the tangent...

Josh