Subject: Re: Old mail (but relevent to SCSI drivers/Jaz/Zip disks?)
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/18/1997 18:44:31
On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> David A. Gatwood wrote:
> >
> > hork?  Never seen that one before....
>
> I wish I could say I made it up, but whatever it's origins, 'horked' has
> always sounded like the perfect word to describe the filesystem while I'm
> sitting there watching 'fsck -y' run and the list of munged inode's goes
> scrolling by ;-)  It really is a great word, tho.  Try using it sometime:
> "My machine was running just fine until the nightly daily script ran and
> _horked_ the machine" or "Every time I try to do a kernel build these
> days, the system _horks_ itself..."  See? ;-)

:-)

> > > Well, if you're hosed, you're hosed :-(  I've to do a complete reinstall I
> > > think twice in the last 2 years.  Normally, I keep a copy of my most
> > > recent tar files sitting around just in case things fall apart.
> >
> > Once a week.  ;-)
>
> Ouch!  That's painful!  I hope you keep anything important backed up.

Well, I almost never have any major damage except to the root filesystem
(the others are small, like 8 or 10 megs each), so I keep my work on
those, backing up between them and syncing a lot to make sure.  When the
root fs gets cranky, I nuke it, reinstall, add dt and bash, reboot and I'm
back up and running.  I should really make a copy of /etc, though....

> initial fsck after mkfs....  And since Apple's MacOS scsi drivers tend
> to be less error-prone than the ones in NetBSD-mac68k, I'd tend to blame
> the SCSI code rather than mkfs, _but_ that's only a guess.
>
> Probably so.  Since Mkfs uses the MacOS SCSI drivers as it's running,
> chances are it's the NetBSD side (or perhaps the drive itself) that's the
> problem.

> > > 12MB RAM on
> > > on an
> >
> > Aha!  It's a PB160.  Same motherboard (essentially) as the 145, or at
> > least my 145 says PowerBook 145/160 on it....  So it's _not_ just mine....
> > ;-)  Sounds like something inherent to the design of that particular model
> > that's not behaving well with either driver.
>
> I guess I should probably note this in the FAQ next time I try it :-)

In the meantime, I'll try a current sbc and copy down a trace and send it
to Scott and Allen.

> > Try zapping PRAM.  That fixes hangs there for some people.  Not sure why.
>
> Hmmm...this too, although I hear that continually doing this is _really_
> bad for the system (I know of at least one system which now has a bad
> motherboard b/c the user zapped PRAM pretty much every time he booted).

That's kind of strange, but nothing would surprise me these days....

David