Subject: Re: xntpd confusionHi,
To: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
From: tcjam <tcjam@voicenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/17/1997 14:03:22
I have two suggestions for all those troubled xntpd folks:

1. Make sure that if you are running timed it is run with the flags "-F
localhost".

2. If you still have problems go get the ntpd distribution from udel.edu

  I am using 1.2.1 so I don't know if there is anything special about the
xntpd that comes with -current but I really think that #1 should solve
your problem most likely there is a timed Master server somewhere on your
network that is competing with xntpd to set the clock to the correct time.

Hope this helps.

tcjam

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Mark Andres wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had the same problem trying to get xntpd to work. I ran it for nearly a
> week and when the clock on my C650 was 6 hours behind, I couldn't take it
> anymore.  So now I am using the ntpdate from cron method, because I just
> didn't have time to mess with xntpd. If anyone has an easy solution, I
> would be happy to try it.
>
> Mark
>
> On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, xiamin wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, David Bushong wrote:
> > > OK, I was setting up xntpd the other night (i.e. running it) and have had
> > > it running the past few days..  I put the following in /etc/ntp.conf:
> > >
> > > server ntp1.berkeley.edu
> > > driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
> > >
> > > And ran xntpd as root.  While xntpd will print messages to the log about
> > > it detecting my slip connection going up and down, and while if I kill
> > > xntpd and use ntpdate it will set the time correctly, xntpd by itself
> > > seems to do _nothing_.  Over the past couple of days it doesn't seem to
> > > have set my clock at all (since on a comparison of an ntpdate -q to my
> > > timeserver and a date on my local machine I'm now about 1.5 mins off.. my
> > > clock drifts quite a bit)
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?  I was just running xntpd as "xntpd" with no flags..
> > I'm doing the same thing, and my clock is about 2.5 hours off right now.
> > I run a rc5 cracking program as part of a distrubied computer efort, I
> > can't find the url right now, and it loads the cpu enough to really
> > retard the clock. I suppose a somewhat budget solution would be to put
> > ntpdate into root's crontab, but this doesn't seem to be the best way to
> > do it. I too would appreciate some help with this one.
> > Xiamin
> >

> Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
>           Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
> Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/

                                 \||||/
                                  o  o
|| "Please explain the scientific nature         |  tcjam@voicenet.com ||
||   of the whammy." -Scully                     ______________________||
|| "Foolproof systems don't take into account,                         ||
||  the ingenuity of fools" -Unknown 			               ||
||   PGP key can be obtained from:                                     ||
||      http://www.voicenet.com/~tcjam/home/keys.html                  ||