Subject: Re: need help installing on Mac IIci
To: Josh Hope <otaku@hick.com>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/16/1997 05:17:09
>>Actually, it's a bit more like uuencoding ;-)

>I'm aware. tar merely puts the contents of a bunch of files or a

>directory into a single file, which can then be gzipped. I was real

>distracted when I wrote that letter :)

>So, I apologize...

>>Actually, I'm fairly sure that it will handle most Mac-native

>>compression/transfer formats without Expander Enhancer, including

>>MacBinary (.bin). I think that EE is only necessary to handle .gz,
.tar?,

>>and a whole mess of PC formats.

>Actually, Colin...good luck :) You get it to do MacBinary without
EE...

>;) Believe me, I've tried and had many a headache trying to do
that...

>Yes, you do need EE for .gz, .tar, .zip, .Z, .arc, etc...

>Enjoy!

>Josh

This is taken from the Expander Enhancer Readme (dropstuff version
4.0):

Expander to expand files compressed and encoded with virtually every
compression and encoding format found on the Macintosh, Unix systems,
and IBM-PCs and compatibles. These include: ZIP (.zip), ARC (.arc),
AppleLink (.pkg), gzip (.gz), Unix Compress (.Z), UUencode (.uu), Tar
(.tar) and StuffIt SpaceSaver files. It will also join files that were
segmented with another StuffIt product. StuffIt Expander will (with or
without Expander Enhancer installed) expand StuffIt (.sit) and Compact
Pro (.cpt) archives, and files "encoded" in BinHex (.hqx) and MacBinary
(.bin) formats.

</paraindent>HTH

Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.