Subject: Re: need help installing on Mac IIci
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@hick.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/16/1997 04:07:23
>Actually, it's a bit more like uuencoding ;-)

I'm aware. tar merely puts the contents of a bunch of files or a
directory into a single file, which can then be gzipped. I was real
distracted when I wrote that letter :)

So, I apologize...

>Actually, I'm fairly sure that it will handle most Mac-native
>compression/transfer formats without Expander Enhancer, including
>MacBinary (.bin). I think that EE is only necessary to handle .gz, .tar?,
>and a whole mess of PC formats.

Actually, Colin...good luck :) You get it to do MacBinary without EE...
;) Believe me, I've tried and had many a headache trying to do that...

Yes, you do need EE for .gz, .tar, .zip, .Z, .arc, etc...

Enjoy!

Josh