Subject: Yes, I'm an idiot
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Albers Mead <jam@matchlogic.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/15/1997 10:33:49
Late last night, I got NetBSD installed on a IIci.  In my enthusiasm, I
began installing apps (apache, perl, etc...) and tcsh.  I tried to change
the root shell to tcsh before I realized that I should probably set up
passwords and a non-root account for myself (it was late as I said).  Guess
what?  tcsh didn't install properly and now when I try to login as root is
says the application tcsh doesn't exist and takes me back to the login
prompt.

I have tried booting into single user mode but the system comes up in read
only and I can't vipw or cp the password file.  I also tried doing cpout
from the mini-shell on the installer but the passwd file comes out and
SimpleText won't open so I can manually change the shell back to something
that works.

Any ideas would REALLY be appreciated.  I will also be accepting public
humilitation (time and place to be announced).

- JAM

   			                    John Albers-Mead
			                     MatchLogic, Inc
                                        400 S. McCaslin Blvd