Subject: Re: ??help??
To: virtual chaos <chaos@worldpass.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/14/1997 23:24:23
virtual chaos wrote:

> hi i just was wondering if netbsd will run on a performa 631cd because

Probably not, at least not at the moment, anyway.  There are a few
problems with the 63x Macs....

> in the install note netbsd bring it says it will run ( Performa 550,
> Performa 600 which i think means all the 600 models) but yet i soem

No, it doesn't mean all 600-series models.  They tend to be quite
different.  It means purely the Performa 600 (which is probably the same
as the LCIII, but I can't remember for sure without looking it up).

> pll on irc in #macintosh say it won't and i can't even partition the
> hd its an ide i tride fwb hd tools but it won't recognize that the hd
> is there umm and one more thing if i partition my hd will i lose the
> old data ( i'm new tring to learn)? Thank you for you time..

Don't bother partitioning your harddrive (yes, you might lose data that's
already on there if you don't do it right).  The internal IDE drives on
some Macs is _not_ supported by NetBSD/mac68k.  Perhaps someone with one
of these machines will want to try their hand at adding such support
(although I don't know of anyone working on it at the moment).

There are 2 other possible problems with the 631CD.  It may have a 68LC040
processor (I don't know for sure), but this would mean that it might tend
to give a lot of illegal instruction errors when you try to run it.  The
other possible problem is that the ADB (keyboard and mouse) may not be
fully supported right at the moment.  Someone else on the list does have
one of these machines, tho, because I know that I've heard of someone
trying to boot on one.

If you are lucky, it may be all you need to do is get an external SCSI
drive and put NetBSD on it.  Hopefully, someone else on the list will add
a little bit more info on this (and I'd be interested in knowing how
NetBSD-current works on the 630-series Macs since I need to update the
machine-status doc by the time 1.3 comes out).

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Later.