Subject: Re: Hardware Harddisk Question
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@fls.portland.or.us>
From: Jim Kreuziger <James.Kreuziger@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/13/1997 11:13:59
On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

> Sorry for the HW question, but does anyone have any idea whether the
> Seagate 2-gig Barracuda (an ex-Conner drive I got at Fry's) is too hot for
> the Centris 650 case? Is there enough air flow?
>
> I had no idea these things got so hot! I couldn't pick up the bare drive
> because of the heat. I figure if I fry the thing, you'll all have to help
> with with failing disk & NetBSD questions.
>
> Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd@fls.portland.or.us - Fuji Landscape Service
> BSEE (6/86) + BSChem (3/95) + BAEnglish (8/95) + $3.00 = mocha latte

Hisashi,

I am running a 9-gig Seagate drive in a Windows NT box for a video
encoding system we are putting together. With the case off, it
runs HOT.  I've had no problems with or without the case on, and
have talked with some of the local hardware guys who said it should
be no problem.

On a side note, wish me luck.  I'm going to be installing NetBSD 1.2.1
on my Mac IIsi for the first time tonight.  If it works, I might
even try to install it on my IIci at work.

-Jim

The views expressed are mine, and do not represent those
of JPL or any agents of JPL.
Jim Kreuziger                        Politics: From the latin poly,
Jet Propulsion Laboratory            meaning many, and tics,
phone:  (626) 306-6605 work          meaning bloodsucking parasites.
e-mail: jimk@dareangel.jpl.nasa.gov