Subject: Re: Networking...
To: Christian Taylor <ctaylor@fox.nstn.ca>
From: Eric C Wagner <wagnerer@umich.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/11/1997 01:51:29
Quote of the day:  $100 invested at 7% interest for 100 years will become
                   $100,000, at which time it will be worth absolutely nothing.
On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Christian Taylor wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have NetBSD 1.2.1 up and running on my IIcx.  I'm setting up networking
> with ethernet for the first time (used PPP before), and I'm having some
> trouble.  I set up an /etc/hostname.ae0 file, and entered the right info.
> The subnet mask and broadcast address were copied exactly from my PowerMac
> 6100/66 running MkLinux.  The IP of that machine is 17.1.1.1 (that's how it
> came setup, and since I'm only using a local network, I didn't bother to
> change it), the netmask is 255.255.255.0 and broadcast address is 17.1.1.0.

Well you have incompatable network numbers for starters. A bit AND of the
broadcast and mask should always be all ones. So in this case your
broadcast address should be 17.1.1.255. Although this shouldn't cause a
system to crash IP networking shouldn't work correctly. In fact I don't
think your broadcast address is a valid IP address since an OR with the
mask is all zeros.

MkLinux probably ignores your incorrect broadcast address and constructs
the correct value from the address and mask.