Subject: Re: Networking...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/1997 22:06:51
Christian Taylor wrote:

> I have NetBSD 1.2.1 up and running on my IIcx.  I'm setting up networking
> with ethernet for the first time (used PPP before), and I'm having some
> trouble.  I set up an /etc/hostname.ae0 file, and entered the right info.
> The subnet mask and broadcast address were copied exactly from my PowerMac
> 6100/66 running MkLinux.  The IP of that machine is 17.1.1.1 (that's how it
> came setup, and since I'm only using a local network, I didn't bother to
> change it), the netmask is 255.255.255.0 and broadcast address is 17.1.1.0.

That's probably you're problem.  The broadcast address is usually a 255
octet, not a 0, so it should be 17.1.1.255.

> When I boot up, and it starts networking, it will freeze shortly
> afterwards.  I removed the hostname.ae0 file and tried to enable ae0
> manually using ifconfig.  This seemed to work, until I tired to ping my
> 6100.  It immediately froze.  It seems that whenever I try to send anything
> over the network, the system freezes.  It won't respond to the keyboard at
> all, and I have to hit the reset switch.  If I hit the interrupt button, it
> will drop into the debugger, but I don't know what I can do there that will
> help (any ideas?).

Try the change above, and take a look at the networking faq:

http://rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de/~feyrer/NetBSD/NWF/nwf_toc.html

It's pretty useful.

> I'm using a what seems like a pretty standard ethernet card.  NetBSD
> identifies it as a MacCon, and a sticker on the card itself says
> Asante-MC3NB.  I wish I knew more about it, but it came with the machine,
> with no specs.

This card should be just fine.

> The machine itself is a IIcx, 8 MB ram, 100 MB hard drive (16 MB swap, 80
> root/usr and whatever's left for MacOS).  I'm using a completely standard
> install of NetBSD 1.2.1.
>
> I'd really appreciate any help I can get on this.  Thanks!

Let me know how the above goes.  I hope this helps.

Later.