Subject: Re: X and passwd troubles
To: None <corbett@mtn.org>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/1997 13:23:20
Peter Corbett wrote:

> Colin Wood wrote (relating to my troubles with X):
>
> > Did you boot in B&W mode?  What does a 'dmesg' say about grf devices?
> > What X server are you using?  You're not trying to start X from dt are
> > you???
>
> Does the same thing in B/W. dmesg says:
>
> grf0 at intvid0
> grf1 at macvid0
>
> macvid0 at nubus0: PDS 030 Mono Display 1.0
> macvid0: 1024 x 768, monochrome
>
> intvid0 at obio0: Internal Video
> intvid0: 640 x 480, monochrome
>
> I'm not using dt. I'm using the plain Xserver that I dl'd at the same
> time that I got 1.2, several month ago. Should I try xserver.961105?

In MacOS, which monitor is your main monitor (i.e. the one with the
menubar)?  I believe that some people have had trouble when the external
monitor is the main monitor.  For some reason it needs to be the internal
monitor (if you've never done it before, you can change it in the Monitors
control panel by dragging the menu bar to the proper window).  Of course,
if internal video is already the main one, I'd try switching it the other
way around just to see how it goes.

As for upgrading the X server, go ahead....wait, what kind of machine is
this??? If it's an SE/30, then you need to get Ken Nakata's latest X
server off of ftp.macbsd.com (I'd recommend getting it anyway).  The stock
server doesn't work with the SE/30 due to some mmap() problems.  If you
don't have an SE/30, upgrading your X server might not help, but you might
as well (it certainly shouldn't hurt).

You might also make sure that the monitors control panel is in grayscale
b&w and not color b&w (although this shouldn't make a difference, someone
reported having trouble on an SE/30 b/c of it).

> > Well, obviously, line 11 is has a bad entry ;-)
>
> > In all likelihood, you don't quite have the format correct for a line > in the passwd file.  Take a look at the other entries and also at the
> > passwd(5) manual page.  Although it's not generally a good idea to go
> > mailing your passwd file around, you might send a copy just so we can > see what you're doing wrong (of course only if the above doesn't
> > help).
>

> Yup, bad entry. I was putting an entry by the book. Just, it's the wrong
> book. A Practical Guide to the UNIX System, by Mark G. Sobell. Didn't
> say a thing about account & password aging.

For BSD-style system administration, I'd recommend the Red Book: the
System Administrator's Handbook by Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass, and Garth.
It's wonderful for teaching unix administration.

> Fixed now.

Glad I could be of help.  Hopefully some of my X advice above will help
some as well.

Later.