Subject: Re: Annoying panics...
To: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/1997 02:01:11
On Aug 10,  4:34am, ADAMGOOD@delphi.com wrote:
>First of all, no good partitioning software exists.  I was using APS 4.0.2
>and it was a mess.  The APS driver replaces the Iomega driver when you
>partion the disk (what was Apple smoking when they decided to put drivers
>for the disks on the disks themselves?  Or am I not understanding what
>happens here?).  That makes it so that the Iomega driver doesn't load
>when you have that disk installed.  Then when you boot into MacBSD, the
>disk is auto ejected (with no way to stop this from happening), because
>the mechanism to prevent auto eject at shutdown is a function of the Iomega
>driver.  So you have to hurry up and push the Jaz disk back into the drive
>before the kernel scans the SCSI devices.

I used Hard Disk Toolkit PE which I got with a hard disk I ordered; it did
not require that I replace the driver.  (It loaded a temporary driver to
work with the disk.)  In the Iomega Drive Options program, which is part
of the Iomega Tools, you can turn on/off such things as verify disk writes,
eject at shutdown and eject on restart.  I turned all off, and did not have
the problem of the disk ejecting when I started NetBSD.

>convoluted process - I had to boot from a Jaz disk with an Iomega driver
>on it just to get the Iomega utilities to start up (they require that a
>Jaz disk with an Iomega driver already be loaded or the won't start, hence
>preventing you from installing a new driver on a defective disk - more
>brilliant engineering), and then when I tried to eject the 'good' Jaz
>disk and put in the 'bad' one the Mac said the 'bad' one was unreadable
>and wanted to initialize it, never letting me get to the Iomega utilities.
>Uhg.  Don't do this at home.).

The Tools program will run if you've run the Iomega Guest program.  I just
tried it, it tells me there's no disk in the drive and patiently waits for
me to put one in...

I eventually gave up on running off the Jaz drive for an entirely different
reason -- my hardware seems to be flaky.  I have a full '040 on my C610
(uses the esp SCSI driver, not sbc or ncr), was able to get NetBSD installed
and the drive cleaned and start running.  When I tried to build the world,
it'd get partway through and start getting major disk corruption.  I'd try
a regular hard drive to see whether it's the Mac or the Jaz, but I don't
have an available one that's sufficiently large...

~Steve

--
Steven R. Allen - wormey@eskimo.com      http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

The years of peak mental activity are undoubtedly between the ages of
four and eighteen.  At four we know all the questions, at eighteen all
the answers.