Subject: Re: shutdown -r
To: None <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
From: Stephen Brown <sbrown@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/08/1997 20:51:22
Hi Xiamin,

How old are your "userland" binaries???  If I remember correctly, I
had a similar problem multiple months back.  But, it was because my
copy of "reboot" was much older than my running kernel.  If you look
at the source code for "reboot", it just calls the "reboot()" system
call.  Again, IIRC this system call changed significantly with one
of the early 1.2* releases.  I haven't seen this problem for a long
time, so I may be misremembering, but it was worth a mention.  If you
go to recompile "reboot", make sure you have the latest kernel libraries,
include files, etc.

If you have recent binaries installed, then I'm not sure what the
problem is.  If that happens, then try a new "GENERIC" kernel,
or let me know and I'll compile another one for you to try.

Steve Brown,
sbrown@best.com

p.s.  I know that "reboot()" changed from system call #55 to system
	call #208 sometime between 1.1 and -current.  But, just when
	that was, I don't remember.   I think there may have been
	other changes as well(the arguments to the system call,
	perhaps??).