Subject: Re: Failure to boot
To: Edward Seth Miller <esmiller@engin.umich.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/08/1997 15:56:02
Edward Seth Miller wrote:

> > > and it sits there.  Sometimes it says instead:
> > >
> > >         Changing root device to sd0a
> > > 	sd0: mode sense (4) returned nonsense; using fictitious geometry
> > >         PRAM: [various chars], macos_boottime: [similar chars]
> > >
> > > If I hit return, it says:
> > >
> > > 	Panic: kernel jump to zero
> > > 	Stopped at      _debugger+0x6:  unlk      a6
> > > 	db>
> >
> > At this point, try typing 'trace' and tell us what functions the stack
> > trace shows.
>
> Well, it lists debugger, panic, jmp0panic, ttychars, ttyinput,
> ttypend, ttyinput, ite_intr, adb_handoff, adb_dokeyupdown,
> adb_keymaybemouse, adb_processevent, adb_complet, adb_asmcomplete,
> via1_inter, lev1inter, mi_switch, tsleep, sys_sigsuspend, syscall, trap
>
> If you want me to throw the numbers following them at you, I can, but
> it'll take me some time to scribble them all down.  I will mention that
> both jmp0panic and lev1inter are followed by (?).  I have, of course,
> left off the _ before each process.

The numbers are probably not all that helpful, at least not for me.  It
looks like it decided to panic while servicing your keyboard return,
though.  How strange...of course, the tsleep might be the problem, since
that might indicate that something was permanently asleep that wasn't
suppose to be.

> > > Anybody have any ideas?  I'm going to proceed to try to re-download all
> > > of the necessary distribution files, and reinstall them, but I'm not
> > > really sure that's the problem.  If somebody has a clue, I'd appreciate
> > > the help.  Thanx!
> >
> > Hmmm...is your /etc/fstab correct?   What kind of hard drive are you
> > using?  What kernel are you using?
> >
> I don't know what my /etc/fstab looks like.  How might I go about seeing
> it, considering that my machine does not now, nor has it ever booted into
> NetBSD?

You can run the Installer, select MiniShell from the File menu, 'cd' to
the /etc directory, and then do a 'more' on the fstab file.

> My hard drive is a Quantum LP80S, and recognized as such.  (I still have
> the standard drive in here.)  The kernel, and all files, are 1.2.1, from
> ftp.eecs.umich.edu (for obvious reasons, since the server in question is
> under a mile away).

Hmmm...Quantum drives often have trouble with the SCSI driver in the
normal GENERIC kernels.  You might want to try an SBC kernel instead
(there may be a 1.2.1 SBC kernel available).  SBC kernels use a different
SCSI driver, and their names usually end with SBC.

> 	Do you think that reinstalling would be wise?  It isn't something
> I really want to do if I can avoid it.

You have built devices, right?  If not, this could cause a bit of a
problem...

I don't think that you need to reinstall, though.  At least not the whole
system.  Try a different kernel and see what happens.

Later.