Subject: Re: Failure to boot
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Edward Seth Miller <esmiller@engin.umich.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/08/1997 18:18:44
On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> Edward Seth Miller wrote:
>
> > Hello again...It's me, the guy with the uncooperative IIci.  (That's a
> > IIci with a 4*8 Display Card, an unsupported :( Cabletron card, 8M
> > memory, 80M HD.)
> > Well, when I booted the kernel from a MacOS partition, it got up to where
> > it needed the root, and then died.  The problem is, it does the same
> > thing after I've made an A/UX Root partition, mkfs-ed it, and run
> > installer with all of the "NEEDed" and most of the other files.  The
> > last few lines on the screen are:
> >
> > 	Changing root device to sd0a
> > 	PRAM: 0x33eb4857, macos_boottime: 0x33eb4848
> >
> > and it sits there.  Sometimes it says instead:
> >
> >         Changing root device to sd0a
> > 	sd0: mode sense (4) returned nonsense; using fictitious geometry
> >         PRAM: [various chars], macos_boottime: [similar chars]
> >
> > If I hit return, it says:
> >
> > 	Panic: kernel jump to zero
> > 	Stopped at      _debugger+0x6:  unlk      a6
> > 	db>
>
> At this point, try typing 'trace' and tell us what functions the stack
> trace shows.

Well, it lists debugger, panic, jmp0panic, ttychars, ttyinput,
ttypend, ttyinput, ite_intr, adb_handoff, adb_dokeyupdown,
adb_keymaybemouse, adb_processevent, adb_complet, adb_asmcomplete,
via1_inter, lev1inter, mi_switch, tsleep, sys_sigsuspend, syscall, trap

If you want me to throw the numbers following them at you, I can, but
it'll take me some time to scribble them all down.  I will mention that
both jmp0panic and lev1inter are followed by (?).  I have, of course,
left off the _ before each process.

> > Anybody have any ideas?  I'm going to proceed to try to re-download all
> > of the necessary distribution files, and reinstall them, but I'm not
> > really sure that's the problem.  If somebody has a clue, I'd appreciate
> > the help.  Thanx!
>
> Hmmm...is your /etc/fstab correct?   What kind of hard drive are you
> using?  What kernel are you using?

I don't know what my /etc/fstab looks like.  How might I go about seeing
it, considering that my machine does not now, nor has it ever booted into
NetBSD?
My hard drive is a Quantum LP80S, and recognized as such.  (I still have
the standard drive in here.)  The kernel, and all files, are 1.2.1, from
ftp.eecs.umich.edu (for obvious reasons, since the server in question is
under a mile away).
	Do you think that reinstalling would be wise?  It isn't something
I really want to do if I can avoid it.

	-Seth