Subject: Re: ppp FAQ suggestions
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/08/1997 13:36:33
Well, _I_ don't like calling these things the "printer" port or the
"modem" port.  Why can't we be consistent and call them tty00 and tty01?
And then we could rather easily pass an optional parameter to a generic
script to select the port to use.

But then, we're going to get pretty complicated/messy, since we'll need to
worry about whether there's a file called /etc/ppp/options.tty00 or
/etc/ppp/options.tty01 out there.  We'd need to look for these in
deference to the default /etc/ppp/options if we're going to set up the
ppp-debug script to be able to turn on debugging for the proper port.

And of course, how can we be sure whether tty00 is associated with ppp0
when we try to shut things down?  IIRC, the ppp0 or ppp1 will get chosen
based on the first unit number that's available, even if we run pppd on
tty01 first - it would get associated with ppp0.

Things do get messy...

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >
> > > How can I set-up one port (tty00) the modem port for dialling out to my
> > > ISP and the other printer port (tty01) for dialling in to my NetBSD box?
> >
> > I am thinking about this. Would it be confusing if we had two setups
> > in the kit?  Like:
> >
> > ppp-up		->		modem-up
> > 				print-up
> > ppp-down	->		modem-down
> > 				print-down
> >
> > ppp-chat	->		modem-chat
> > 				print-chat
> > ppp-connect	->		modem-connect (seperate for debugging stuff)
> > 				print-connect
>
> Hmmm...that will work, but do you think that this functionality is really
> necessary?  Wouldn't someone interested in doing this be willing to go to
> the trouble of modifying the scripts themselves?  How do you pick which
> port is going to be the "client" port and which the "server"?  I realize
> pppd is both, but one connect script is actually going to dial a remote
> system, the other should just put the modem in auto-answer mode or
> something like that.
>
> Perhaps you'd want something more like:
>
> ppp-up [modem | printer]  (defaults to modem)
>
> and
>
> ppp-server [printer | modem] (defaults to printer)
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> Later.
>
> --
> Colin Wood                                 cwood@ichips.intel.com
> Component Design Engineer - MD6                 Intel Corporation
> I speak only on my own behalf, not for my employer.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |