Subject: Re: shutdown -r
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/08/1997 09:13:43
Scott Reynolds wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Erik Bertelsen wrote:
>
> > On my Mac IIcx, shutdown -r consistently shutdowns and leaves the machine
> > with a blank screen (but no sounds) -- I have to power cycle the machine.
>
> My IIcx has no such problem.
>
> I've found that by adding and removing non-essential drivers (changing the
> size of the kernel, effectively), I can make this problem go away and
> reappear.  I haven't had any luck tracking it down, so far.

Hmmm...yeah, I seem to remember someone else saying this at some point.
There must be some low memory global that we don't quite have the right
address for on the IIcx which we are touching.  The only problem with that
idea is that I thought a reboot pretty much wiped everything in memory,
but I guess maybe it doesn't.  Do we ever write to PRAM or anything like
that?

Later.