Subject: Re: topsy turvy (top problem)
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1997 22:21:20
Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

> Hi! I just went from using the June 1st current snapshot, with the
> GENERICSBC-32 kernel, as I remember, to using the July 10th snapshot with
> GENERICSBC-35. This is on an eight-meg SE/30.
>
> With my old configuration, I had no problem running top. Now, however, I
> get the following:
>
> top: panic: nswapmap goof
>
> I don't know what this means, or how to correct the situation. FWIW, I'm
> getting this error now, with a fresh build of top 3.4 - the version which
> came with the Unix System Administration Handbook's February 1997 CD. (My
> old binary gave me that error, and the new one does the same.)
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening, and what I
> can do to fix the problem, aside from going back to earlier software? I'd
> rather stay with the most recent software possible. (Well, the most recent
> snapshot, anyway... I don't know what's required to do daily source fetches
> and builds.)

This is due to rather significant changes in the swap system in the last 2
months.  Someone has released a patched version of the latest top source.
You might want to post to current-users and ask there (that's where I saw
it).  If I can find it, I'll mail it to you (although I can't seem to find
it at the moment).

Later.