Subject: Re: PAP in ppp, help!
To: None <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1997 10:02:15
> does anyone know of a good faq or guide for PAP? I've got a school
> account which requires this with ppp. my story is like alot of other
> port-mac68k users who say that their modem dials, but drops them--some
> say due to a messed up ppp-chat file.

It's not a messed up chat file, just an incorrect one. I tried to mention
this in the README for the kits, but YOU have to know what your ISP
wants.

> anyway, i've got a Q700 and the scripts ppp.setup.tgz are installed, but
> to no avail. could netbsd require additional setup required for
> networking in order for ppp to work? or...

No, you just need to change your chat script to work with PAP.

Rip out everything after the line with CONNECT, and then set up your
pap secrets file (as described in man pppd).

> hasn't anyone just made an X application that prompts dummies like me
> for each file which must be configured? That would be great if someone
> knows where one is, or am i dreaming?

No, you just haven't written it yet. :-)

Take care,

Bill