Subject: Re: Jaz disks and swap
To: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1997 09:19:52
ADAMGOOD@delphi.com wrote:

> Well, I decided to try moving my whole system to a Jaz disk.  I partitioned
> it with APS.2.7.3 and gave it 150MB Mac partition, 100MB A/UX Root,
> 36MB Swap, and the rest A/UX Usr.
>
> For about a second everything seemed OK.  Then the thing paniced and gave
> me this string:
>
> pmap_alloc_pv: pgi_nfree inconsistent
>
> And dumped me into the debugger.  A stacktrace shows the panic was from:
>
> _pmap_alloc_pv()
> _pmap_enter()
> _vmfault()
> _trap()
> _addrerr()
>
> I haven't done extensive work with the VM system, but it looks to me like
> it page faulted and couldn't find a page somewhere.
>
> Upon searching further, I noticed that at boottime, right after the
> filesystems are checked I got the message:
>
> swapon: device not configured.
>
> It had previously told me that root was at sd2a and swap was at sd2b, so
> this confuses me.

How new a kernel are you using?  There has been a rather big change in how
swap is configured in the more recent -current kernels.  Perhaps your
binaries and kernel are out of sync?

> So I checked the man page for swapon and the bottom says something cryptic
> about it is not possible to make use of deviced which may be dismounted
> during system operation.  Figuring that the Jaz is removeable, I thought
> maybe that might be the problem.  So I edited /etc/fstab so that instead
> of having swap be on sd2b (the Jaz), swap was on sd1b (my old working
> disk).

This shouldn't make a difference.  I don't think that NetBSD/mac68k really
understands removeable media as such at the moment.  I think it should
treat the Jaz as fixed.

> I rebooted and it gave me the same errors at boottime and paniced when I
> was trying to mount some filesystems as it did when the swap was on the
> Jaz partition.

How strange....

> I have no idea what the problem is with this.  Can anyone give me a hand
> please?  Has anyone used a Jaz disk alone for NetBSD so far?  Did anyone
> have this problem?

I seem to remember some people having it working...although I can't be
sure.

> Thanks so much for any information.

Like I said above, make sure that your kernel and binaries are in sync.
Also, make sure that /etc/fstab correctly reflects you swap space.
Finally, did you create a swap partition in Mkfs or with partitioning
software on the jaz?  If not, maybe that's the problem...

Perhaps this will help.

Later.