Subject: Jaz disks and swap
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1997 10:34:51
Hi again,

Well, I decided to try moving my whole system to a Jaz disk.  I partitioned
it with APS.2.7.3 and gave it 150MB Mac partition, 100MB A/UX Root,
36MB Swap, and the rest A/UX Usr.

For about a second everything seemed OK.  Then the thing paniced and gave
me this string:

pmap_alloc_pv: pgi_nfree inconsistent

And dumped me into the debugger.  A stacktrace shows the panic was from:

_pmap_alloc_pv()
_pmap_enter()
_vmfault()
_trap()
_addrerr()

I haven't done extensive work with the VM system, but it looks to me like
it page faulted and couldn't find a page somewhere.

Upon searching further, I noticed that at boottime, right after the
filesystems are checked I got the message:

swapon: device not configured.

It had previously told me that root was at sd2a and swap was at sd2b, so
this confuses me.

So I checked the man page for swapon and the bottom says something cryptic
about it is not possible to make use of deviced which may be dismounted
during system operation.  Figuring that the Jaz is removeable, I thought
maybe that might be the problem.  So I edited /etc/fstab so that instead
of having swap be on sd2b (the Jaz), swap was on sd1b (my old working
disk).

I rebooted and it gave me the same errors at boottime and paniced when I
was trying to mount some filesystems as it did when the swap was on the
Jaz partition.

I have no idea what the problem is with this.  Can anyone give me a hand
please?  Has anyone used a Jaz disk alone for NetBSD so far?  Did anyone
have this problem?

Thanks so much for any information.

-Adam