Subject: Re: stability?
To: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
From: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@fls.portland.or.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1997 07:12:37
On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:

> In addition to which, they may fry your motherboard!

OK, as a hardware designer, I'd like to know WHERE this came from. Most
people I know play a little too fast and loose with the ESD rules
(electrostatic discharge) and should NOT be opening computers without
having proper grounding and shielding. However, I don't know of any
computers being fried because of parity bits on the SIMMs. I'm sure there
are odd-ball computers out there where this could happen, but this should
not be the normal case.

Locally, I've found that non-parity SIMMs are cheap and plentiful. I don't
even bother pricing them much any more. I just go down to the store and
buy 'em. They're even used as loss-leaders by some of the
mega-computer-stores so it pays to read the Sunday paper.

Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd@fls.portland.or.us - Fuji Landscape Service
BSEE (6/86) + BSChem (3/95) + BAEnglish (8/95) + $3.00 = mocha latte